Pass it On

Pass it On
Share the Love

9.03.2011

Harriet Tubman



every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and to change the world
harriet tubman





Harriet Tubman. One of my favorite people to learn about in school.
I remember feeling so triumphant and alive inside imagining the strength and courage that it must have taken this woman to accomplish the tasks of her life. One of my mentors.

Along with Rosa Parks, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr, John Lennon, Mother Teresa, Joan of Arc, Sister Carole MacKenthum and Christ. I have to say that it is no wonder I am here today although it is always striking to look back and see when in our lives we are listening to our calling and when we are not.

The quote above was given to me recently, on a card celebrating the last day of an amazing year- long therapy program I completed. I was touched to find that I had not only learned a tremendous amount and grown, but inspired others. I worked with a great bunch of folks both students and teachers.

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is the greatest life skills class I have ever taken. It helps you to better recognize yourself, your emotions, your needs, and gives new perspective into alternative behaviors best suited to manage most of the mess life is going to throw at you...even if it is simply tolerance.

Frankly...everyone needs this class.
It is especially helpful in parenting but it is geared for those who are highly sensitive and largely invalidated.

All labeling aside, the mindfulness based approach and class/therapy combination allows for healing to be a learning experience where by you end up less likely to repeat behaviors that have an undesired effect in your life. You can identify your goals, morals, and optimum circumstances for feeling your best. And you can learn to simply handle distress when it arises without the need to do anything. And sometimes that is all we can do.

I asked and prayed for skills and tools to help me navigate my life. My prayers were answered.

How about yours?


No comments: